Binary Ionization Technology® (BIT™) and its SteraMist™ platform was developed in conjunction with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and a large U.S. defense contractor, in response to Amerithrax (anthrax attacks) post 9/11/2001. Binary Ionization Technology® (BIT™) is a patented two-step process that activates and ionizes a 7.8% hydrogen peroxide solution. The fine mist is called Activated Ionized Hydrogen Peroxide (AIHP). AIHP contains a high concentration of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), consisting mostly of hydroxyl radicals, which damages pathogenic organisms through oxidation of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids. This leads to cellular disruption and/or dysfunction and allows for disinfection in targeted areas and large spaces.
Studies detailed through a DARPA grant demonstrate how ROS are produced as a result of passing through a high-energy atmospheric cold plasma arc. The conversion to AIHP occurs when the hydrogen peroxide is ionized, and as a result its double bond is broken thus becoming the hydroxyl radical as it passes through the activated cold plasma arc. The unique physiochemical properties of AIHP allow the ROS to exist in high concentrations without quickly losing their reactivity. DARPA testing further validates how the excited ROS work to kill and neutralize bacteria spores and viruses and aggressively break the double bonds in biological weaponized agents and chemical warfare agents (BWA and CWA) neutralizing their threat and producing nontoxic byproducts.
TOMI Environmental Solutions’ testing has confirmed the applicability and effectiveness of the SteraMist™ BIT™ system on a variety of infectious pathogens, resulting in EPA registration of Binary Ionization Technology® (BIT™) for use as a hospital-healthcare disinfectant as a combination solution and application technology.
(EPA registration # 90150-2)
- Economical and easy to use
- Non corrosive
- Leaves no residue
- No mixing or diluting required
- Does not damage electronic equipment*
- When you re-enter the room, you can “SMELL THE CLEAN”
- SteraMist Surface Unit – A fully portable, self-contained, hand-held, point and spray application
- SteraMist Environment System – A multi-applicator, fully conﬁgurable, fogging system
- Scalable to treat multiple spaces simultaneously
- Remotely controlled, push-button, observable operation
- EPA registered (registration number 90150-2) for use as a hospital-healthcare disinfectant
- Fast acting biological deactivation of problem microorganisms
- Eliminates bacteria on hard, non-porous surfaces**
- Reduces the risk of cross contamination of bacteria on hard, pre-cleaned, non-porous surfaces**
*Disinfects hard pre-cleaned, non-porous surfaces
** Kills Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC # 15442), Kills Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC # 6538)